City Hall is reducing HSR service further beginning on June 28, with 14 bus routes seeing service reduced with many of the cuts focused upon evening and night service.
The HSR reduced service in March in response to the closure of businesses under the Province’s COVID State of Emergency. Since that time, the HSR has operated on an “enhanced” Saturday bus schedule. Some routes have “extra” buses added to respond to capacity demands, and weekday only routes operate on reduced schedules.
Saturday service requires fewer operators, which will enable the HSR to maintain service in the event a number of staff become infected with coronavirus and unable to work for the 14-day self-isolation period asked of anyone who tests positive for the virus.
The HSR lists the following cuts on their website:
- 1 – KING Weekdays – Evening service between 7 and 10 pm is reduced to every 15 minutes.
- 3 – CANNON Weekdays and Saturdays – Late Evening service after 10 pm has been eliminated. Service is reduced in the early morning in the off-peak direction (outbound from downtown). The Saturday mid-day frequency is reduced to every 30 minutes, to match the weekday service level.
- 4 – BAYFRONT Sundays – The late evening service level will be reduced. Service is reduced in the early morning in the off-peak direction (outbound from downtown).
- 5 – DELAWARE Saturdays and Sundays – The frequency on the common portion of the route will be reduced to every 12 minutes from 6 am to 9 pm on Saturdays and from 9 am to 6 pm on Sundays. The frequency on the three tails in each end will be 36 minutes during these times.
- 6 – ABERDEEN Sundays – The last trip from downtown will be 10 pm.
- 7 – LOCKE Weekdays and Saturdays – The service is cancelled after 10 pm.
- 8 – YORK Weekdays and Saturdays – The service is cancelled after 10 pm.
- 9 – ROCK GARDENS Sundays – The service span is reduced by two hours in the afternoon/evening.
- 11 – PARKDALE Saturdays and Sundays – The service in the early morning is reduced to every 60 minutes.
- 16 – ANCASTER Saturdays – The last westbound trip from the Ancaster Meadowlands will be 6:10 pm.
- 18 – WATERDOWN Weekdays and Saturdays – The service span in the evening is reduced by approximately one hour.
- 33 – SANATORIUM Weekdays – The service in the late evening is reduced to every 60 minutes.
- 34 – UPPER PARADISE Weekdays – The service in the late evening is reduced to every 60 minutes.
- 35 – COLLEGE Sundays – The service is reduced in the early morning.
- 42 – MOHAWK East – This route will not operate on weekdays and Sundays. The Saturday schedule will remain the same as existing.
The full summer schedules are on the HSR website here.
Production Details v. 1.0.0 First published: June 4, 2020 Last edited: June 4, 2020 Author: Joey Coleman Edit Record v. 1.0.0 original version
Ridership will never increase with City Council’s backward, out of date, and out of touch attitude toward public transit. For example, riders left by the roadside (“Bus Full”/riders unable to get to work on time (unreliable schedule, reduced service)/increased fairs with no improvement to service and route frequency.
Get rid of area rating! Listen to the ridership. How much taxpayer dollars were spent on the recent survey that was promoted. All down the drain with the rest of the money spent on consultants.