The City of Hamilton is moving to designate four properties under the Ontario Heritage Act, publishing notices last week as required under the Act.
The following are the notices on the City website:
- 140 Locke Street South, Hamilton - "The former church at 140 Locke Street South was constructed in the late 19th century and was originally relocated from its former location on Canada Street in 1895-1896. The church was associated with the theme of late 19th and early 20th century places of worship in Hamilton. The former church served as the Immanuel Congregational Church from 1890 to 1925, then became Trinity United Church from 1925 to 1967, and was later converted into an auction hall in 1967. The former church has design value as it demonstrates the influence of Neo Gothic style of architecture. The Statement of Cultural Heritage Value pertains to the exterior of the building as visible from the street." The owner is objecting to the designation
- 21 Stone Church Road West, Hamilton more commonly know as the Barton Stone United Church - "The Barton Stone Church represents one of the oldest congregations in Hamilton and reflects the theme of early places of worship. When the original church building was condemned, the Presbyterian congregation constructed the Barton Stone United Church as it stands today, with construction taking place from 1845-1847. The Cemetery was opened in 1847 after the church was constructed and therein lies the remains of many of Barton Township’s early settlers."
- 2042 Jerseyville Road West, Ancaster - "The property at 2042 Jerseyville Road West possesses cultural heritage value, expressed in historical associations with the Kelly family, who contributed to the development of the Alberton settlement, as well as to the early agricultural settlement of Ancaster. The farmhouse located on this property also has architectural value as an example of a one-and-a-half storey, vernacular interpretation of the Georgian architectural style, with Neo-Classical elements. The farmhouse is also a rare surviving example of Pre-Confederation frame construction. The Reasons for Designation apply to all elevations and the roofline of the former farmhouse including all façades, entranceways, windows, and brick chimneys, together with construction materials of brick, wood, and glazing, building techniques, and landscape features." The house was previously considered for designation in 2005.
- 493 Dundas Street East, Flamborough - "Built circa 1857, the Pearson House property has design value as a fine example of a late Georgian brick residence in a landscaped setting. The Pearson House has associative value for its connections with James Forbes; the Forbes family owned the property from 1857 to 1913 and is associated with the Forbes-Fosher Stove Foundry Company in Hamilton. The property also has associative value for its connections with the Pearson Family. The Pearson family operated the farm as the Avonsyde Dairy. The dairy produced milk that was delivered in glass bottles, first to Waterdown and later to Aldershot and Burlington."
No date for the final Council vote to designate these properties has yet been made public.