Hamilton Fire spokesperson Claudio Mostacci says an apartment fire at 710 Lawrence Rd in Hamilton’s Rosedale neighbourhood sent one person to hospital, and killed one of her two cats in the apartment.
Mostacci says the fire was caused by a candle flame which ignited while the resident was using household cleaning products.
The woman was rescued by fire fighters after returning to her apartment to attempt finding her pet cats.
Mostacci says the woman was rescued by fire fighters from her balcony and transported to hospital by paramedics with smoke inhalation.
Here’s the full HFD press release sent Saturday night:

HAMILTON, ON – November 29, 2014 – The Hamilton Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at a 5 storey apartment building located at 710 Lawrence Road, Hamilton at approximately 6:20 pm this evening.
Upon arrival, firefighters confirmed a working fire in a unit on the 4th floor of the building with heavy smoke showing from a balcony on the east side of the building. During their search and rescue operations, firefighters located and removed the lone occupant from the apartment. The patient was immediately placed in the care of Paramedics and transported directly to Hamilton General Hospital. The occupant of the apartment had re-entered the unit to locate pet cats which were eventually located by firefighters and removed outside to the care of Animal Control Services. The Hamilton Fire Department would like to stress the importance of never re-entering a burning building for any reason.
The fire was quickly extinguished and crews immediately started ventilation procedures in order to clear the building of smoke. All residents of the building have returned to their apartment units.
Firefighters contained the fire to the one apartment unit and damage is estimated at approximately $50,000. The cause for the fire has been determined to be using a cleaning product near a lit candle.
For more information on fire safety, contact our Fire Prevention Division at 905 546-2424 ext. 1380, weekdays between 8:30am and 4:30pm or visit our web-site at www.hamilton.ca/fire.